This two semester certificate program offers basic landscaping skills to persons who are seeking a career in landscape contracting but who may not desire a full degree. The certificate is also helpful to those already employed in the landscape industry who have a desire to upgrade their knowledge and skills in order to be a more valuable staff member. The Plant Science and Landscape Contracting Short-Term Certificate features course work in such horticulture basics as plant identification, equipment operations, and current landscape practices.
Program contact: Learn more
This certificate will be automatically awarded when the certificate requirements are completed. If you do not want to receive the certificate, please notify the Office of the Registrar at RegistrarOffice@tri-c.edu.
Learn more about how certificate credits apply to the related degree.
Program Admission Requirements
- High School Diploma/GED not required, but highly recommended
- Complete English placement test
- Complete Math placement test
- Submit all college transcripts to Office of the Registrar.
Program Learning Outcomes
This program is designed to prepare students to demonstrate the following learning outcomes:
- Ensure that a contract is properly executed by actively listening, understanding, and implementing instructions and effectively communicating them to other members of the crew while providing positive motivation. Display an impeccable work ethic and provide positive reinforcement to instill ownership of the project.
- Effectively maintain residential, commercial, industrial, multi-family, institutional, park and public properties lawn, bed and tree installations by properly weeding, deep edging, mulching, pruning, mowing, watering and fertilizing.
- Apply the green industry standards of quality through the practice of proper planting techniques and knowledge of landscape plants, weeds, and the culture and care of landscape plants.
- Demonstrate safe operation and maintenance of small and large-engine equipment used in landscape installations and maintenance.
Suggested Semester Sequence
|First Semester||Credit Hours|
|HLTH-1230||Standard First Aid and Personal Safety||1|
|PST-1311||Deciduous Woody Landscape Plants||3|
|PST-1411||Equipment Operations and Safety||2|
|PST-1321||Evergreens, Groundcovers, and Herbaceous Landscape Plants||3|
|PST-1600||Irrigation and Drainage||2|
|PST-2370||Introduction to Turfgrass||2|
|Total Credit Hours||19|