The one-year certificate program offers basic landscaping skills to persons who are seeking a career in landscape contracting but who may not desire a full degree. The certificate is also helpful to those already employed in the landscape industry who have a desire to upgrade their knowledge and skills in order to be a more valuable employee. The Landscape Technician Certificate of Proficiency features course work in such horticulture basics as botany, plant identification, plant diseases and insect pests, soil technology and landscape practices.
Program contact: Learn more
This certificate will be automatically awarded when the certificate requirements are completed. If you do not want to receive the certificate, please notify the Office of the Registrar at RegistrarOffice@tri-c.edu.
Learn more about how certificate credits apply to the related degree.
Program Admission Requirements
- High School Diploma/GED not required, but highly recommended.
- ENG-0990 Language Fundamentals II or appropriate score on English Placement Test.
- MATH-0955 Beginning Algebra or appropriate score on Math Placement Test.
- Submit all college transcripts to Office of the Registrar.
Program Learning Outcomes
This program is designed to prepare students to demonstrate the following learning outcomes:
- Ensure that a contract is properly executed by actively listening, understanding, and implementing instructions and effectively communicating them to other members of the crew while providing positive motivation by displaying an impeccable work ethic and providing positive reinforcement to instill ownership of the project.
- Effectively maintain residential, commercial, industrial, multi-family, institutional, park and public properties lawn, bed and tree installations by properly weeding, deep edging, mulching, pruning, mowing, watering and fertilizing.
- Apply the green industry standards of quality through the practice of proper planting techniques and knowledge of landscape plants, weeds, and the culture and care of landscape plants.
- Demonstrate safe operation and maintenance of small and large-engine equipment used in landscape installations and maintenance.
Suggested Semester Sequence
|First Semester||Credit Hours|
|HLTH-1230||Standard First Aid and Personal Safety||1|
|MATH-1xxx||1000-level MATH course or higher||3|
|PST-1311||Deciduous Woody Landscape Plants||3|
|PST-1411||Equipment Operations and Safety||2|
|Select one of the following:||3|
|College Composition I|
|Honors College Composition I|
|BADM-1301||Small Business Management||3|
|PST-XXXX Plant Science Elective (see below list)||2|
|PST-1321||Evergreens, Groundcovers, and Herbaceous Landscape Plants||3|
|PST-1600||Irrigation and Drainage||2|
|Total Credit Hours||31|
|PST-1441||Introduction to Landscape Design||3|
|PST-2370||Introduction to Turfgrass||2|