This two semester certificate program offers garden center management skills to persons who are seeking a career in retail garden center operations but who may not desire a full degree. The certificate is also helpful to those already employed in landscape or other green industries who have a desire to upgrade their knowledge and skills in order to be a more valuable staff member. The Plant Science and Garden Center Short-Term Certificate features course work in such horticulture basics as plant identification, and current landscape practices as well as essential business aspects of retailing in the green industry.
Program contact: Learn more
This certificate will be automatically awarded when the certificate requirements are completed. If you do not want to receive the certificate, please notify the Office of the Registrar at RegistrarOffice@tri-c.edu.
Learn more about how certificate credits apply to the related degree.
Program Admission Requirements
- High School Diploma/GED not required, but highly recommended
- Complete English placement test
- Complete Math placement test
- Submit all college transcripts to Office of the Registrar.
Program Learning Outcomes
This program is designed to prepare students to demonstrate the following learning outcomes:
- Apply knowledge of deciduous, evergreen and herbaceous plants, their growing habits and needs to determine appropriate placement within the landscape.
- Assist clients and customers with plant related problems and propose related solution(s).
- Effectively communicate with customers, staff members, and managers and provide exceptional customer service.
- Use merchandising and selling techniques within a retail atmosphere.
- Analyze all aspects of financial management of garden center and create sound business plans and strategies.
Suggested Semester Sequence
|First Semester||Credit Hours|
|PST-1311||Deciduous Woody Landscape Plants||3|
|PST-1400||Garden Center and Nursery Management||3|
|Select one of the following:||3|
|Introduction to Microcomputer Applications|
|Honors Introduction to Microcomputer Applications|
|HLTH-1230||Standard First Aid and Personal Safety||1|
|PST-1321||Evergreens, Groundcovers, and Herbaceous Landscape Plants||3|
|PST-2321||Plant Pest Diagnostics||3|
|Total Credit Hours||21|