This two semester certificate program offers basic to advanced landscape design skills to persons who are seeking a career in landscape design but who may not desire a full degree. The certificate is also helpful to those already employed in the landscape industry who have a desire to upgrade their knowledge and skills in order to be a more valuable staff member. The Plant Science and Landscape Design Short-Term Certificate features course work in such horticulture basics as plant identification, landscape design, landscape project estimating and management and current landscape practices.
Program contact: Learn more
This certificate will be automatically awarded when the certificate requirements are completed. If you do not want to receive the certificate, please notify the Office of the Registrar at RegistrarOffice@tri-c.edu.
Learn more about how certificate credits apply to the related degree.
Program Admission Requirements
- High School Diploma/GED not required, but highly recommended
- Complete English placement test.
- Complete Math placement test
- Submit all college transcripts to Office of the Registrar.
Program Learning Outcomes
This program is designed to prepare students to demonstrate the following learning outcomes:
- Ensure that a landscape design is properly created by actively listening, understanding, and implementing instructions and effectively translating them to select and place appropriate plants and materials in a landscape setting.
- Apply knowledge of deciduous, evergreen and herbaceous plants, their growing habits and needs, and appropriate placement within the landscape.
- Demonstrate knowledge of landscape business requirements including estimating, profit and loss analysis, pricing strategies and customer relations.
Suggested Semester Sequence
|First Semester||Credit Hours|
|PST-1311||Deciduous Woody Landscape Plants||3|
|PST-1441||Introduction to Landscape Design||3|
|Select one of the following:||3|
|Honors Computer Applications|
|HLTH-1230||Standard First Aid and Personal Safety||1|
|PST-1321||Evergreens, Groundcovers, and Herbaceous Landscape Plants||3|
|PST-1450||Landscape Design - CAD||3|
|Total Credit Hours||22|