2017-2018 Academic Calendar

Fall Semester 2017

Full Term 16-week
August 28, 2017-December 17, 2017
Session A 8-Week
August 28, 2017-October 22, 2017
Session B 8-Week
October 23, 2017-December 17, 2017
Session O 14-Week
September 11, 2017-December 17, 2017

Spring Semester 2018

Full Term 16-Week
January 16, 2018-May 13, 2018
Session A 8-Week
January 16, 2018-March 11, 2018
Session B 8-Week
March 19, 2018-May 13, 2018
Session O 14-Week
January 29, 2018-May 13, 2018

Summer Session 2018

Full Term 10-Week
May 29, 2018-August 5, 2018
Session J 5-Week
May 29, 2018–July 1, 2018
Session K 5-Week
July 2, 2018-August 5, 2018
Session L 8-Week
June 11, 2018-August 5, 2018

Fall Semester 2017

April 10, 2017-April 16, 2017 Monday-Sunday Priority Registration
April 17, 2017–August 27, 2017 Monday-Sunday Registration for Fall Semester 2017
August 28, 2017 Monday Fall Semester Full Term (16-Week) and Session A (8-Week) Begin
September 4, 2017 Monday Labor Day - College Closed - No Classes Scheduled
September 11, 2017 Monday Session O (14-week) Begins
October 8, 2017 Sunday Last Day for students to submit incomplete work from Spring Semester 2017 and Summer Semester 2017
October 13, 2017 Friday Roll Spring and Summer Semester 'Incomplete' grades to 'F'
October 22, 2017 Sunday Session A Ends
October 23, 2017 Monday Session A Final Grades Due
October 23, 2017 Monday Session B (8-week) Begins
November 10, 2017 Friday Veterans’ Day - College Closed - No Classes Scheduled
November 17, 2017 Friday Last Day to Withdraw from Full Term (16 Week) Course with a ‘W’ Grade1
November 23, 2017-November 26, 2017 Thursday-Sunday Thanksgiving Recess - College Closed - No Classes Scheduled
December 11, 2017-December 17, 2017 Monday-Sunday Final Exam Week – Full Term
December 17, 2017 Sunday Fall Semester Full Term, Session B and Session O End
December 19, 2017 Tuesday Final Grades Due – Full Term, Session B and Session O
December 21, 2017 Thursday Fall 2017 Commencement (Date Tentative)
December 22, 2017–January 1, 2018 Friday-Monday Winter Break – College Closed – No Classes Scheduled

Spring Semester 2018

October 9, 2017-October 15, 2017 Monday-Sunday Priority Registration
October 23, 2017–January 15, 2018 Monday-Monday Registration for Spring Semester 2018
January 15, 2018 Monday Martin Luther King Jr. Day - College Closed – No Classes Scheduled
January 16, 2018 Tuesday Spring Semester Full Term (16-week) and Session A (8-week) Begin
January 29, 2018 Monday Session O (14-week) Begins
February 25, 2018 Sunday Deadline for students to submit incomplete work for Fall Semester 2017
March 2, 2018 Friday Incomplete grades for Fall 2017 Semester rolled to ‘F’ grades
March 11, 2018 Sunday Session A Ends
March 12, 2018-March 18, 2018 Monday-Sunday Spring Break - No Classes Scheduled
March 19, 2018 Monday Session B (8-week) Begins
March 20, 2018 Tuesday Session A Final Grades Due
April 6, 2018 Friday Deadline to Petition for Graduation for Spring and Summer 2018
April 13, 2018 Friday Last Day to Withdraw from Full Term (16 Week) Course with a ‘W’ Grade1
May 7, 2018-May 13, 2018 Monday-Sunday Final Exam Week – Full Term
May 13, 2018 Sunday Spring Semester Full Term, Session B and Session O End
May 15, 2018 Tuesday Final Grades Due - Full Term, Session B and Session O
May 17, 2018 Thursday Spring and Summer 2018 Commencement

Summer Session 2018

March 19, 2018–May 28, 2018 Monday-Monday Registration for Summer Session 2018
May 28, 2018 Monday Memorial Day - College Closed
May 29, 2018 Tuesday Summer Session Full Term (10-week) and Session J (5-week) Begin
June 11, 2018 Monday Session L (8-week) Begins
July 1, 2018 Sunday Session J Ends
July 2, 2018 Monday Session K (5-week) Begins
July 3, 2018 Tuesday Session J Grades Due
July 4, 2018 Wednesday Independence Day Observation - College Closed - No Classes Scheduled
July 20, 2018 Friday Last Day to Withdraw from Full Term (10-Week) Course with a ‘W’ Grade 1
August 5, 2018 Sunday Summer Session Full Term, Session K and Session L End
August 7, 2018 Tuesday Final Grades Due - Full Term, Session K and Session L

Advanced Placement Exams

The State of Ohio, working with public institutions of higher education, has initiated policies to facilitate the ease of transition from high school to college, as well as between and among Ohio’s public colleges and universities.

Beginning in the fall term 2009:

  • Students obtaining an Advanced Placement (AP) exam score of 3 or above will be awarded the aligned course(s) and credits for the AP exam area(s) successfully completed.
  • General education courses and credits received will be applied toward graduation and will satisfy a general education requirement if the course(s) to which the AP area is equivalent fulfill(s) a requirement.
  • If an equivalent course is not available for the AP exam area completed, elective or area credit will be awarded in the appropriate academic discipline and will be applied toward graduation where such elective credit options exist within the academic major.
  • Additional courses or credits may be available when a score of 4 or 5 is obtained. Award of credit for higher score values varies depending on institution and academic discipline.

In academic disciplines containing highly dependent sequences (e.g., science, technology, engineering and mathematics), students are strongly advised to confer with the college/university advising staff to ensure they have the appropriate foundation to be successful in advanced coursework within the sequence.  Learn more about AP credit awards at Tri-C.

Change of Major Field of Study

Students should change their major field of study by the 15th day of the semester. Any changes of major received after the 15th day of the semester will become effective for the following semester. Students can update their academic major by submitting changes through my Tri-C space. It is suggested that students check with a counselor before changing majors.

Credit for Prior Learning

Prior Learning is defined as academic credit awarded to registered students upon demonstration of knowledge equivalent to that gained through a college course. A student must be currently enrolled in a minimum of 12 semester credit hours, or have completed a minimum of 20 semester credit hours, at Tri-C and be in good standing (maintain a minimum 2.0 GPA) before applying for Prior Learning credit. Students may obtain a maximum of 30 semester credits through one, or a combination, of the recognized options for Prior Learning.  Awarded Prior Learning credit will not affect a student’s grade point average or quality points. Also, the awarded Prior Learning credit will not substitute for the required 20 semester credits of residency needed for college graduation. Standardized methods of evaluation are used to measure a student’s demonstrated knowledge of a subject area. If equivalent knowledge is demonstrated upon completion, the student will be awarded the same academic credit as that designated for the course. The student should see a counselor for any additional requirements.

Prior Learning Options

Recognized options under which Prior Learning may be awarded include:

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

The CLEP includes general and subject-specific exams in a variety of areas. Tri-C will award comparable academic credit to students for successful completion of the CLEP general and subject area examinations.  Learn more about Tri-C's CLEP equivalencies. Official transcripts must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar with a letter requesting the posting of CLEP credit. Learn more about testing sites and exam options. 

DANTES Subject Standardized Tests

DANTES is a group of standardized tests originally developed for the voluntary education programs of the U.S. Armed Forces. The tests have now been made available for civilian use. These civilian tests are administered through Educational Testing Services. 

American Council on Education (ACE)

ACE makes policy recommendations and facilitates credit award decisions for alternative educational experiences, offering guidance to colleges and universities on how to evaluate and award credit for these experiences. Examples include:

Military Training Credit
​Prior Learning credit can be awarded for education a student received while a member of the U.S. Armed Forces.

  • Military Assurance Guides (MTAG) The Ohio Department of Higher Education (ODHE) and Tri-C are committed to the acceptance and awarding of college credit for training and experience in the United States Armed Forces or National Guard.  ODHE's Articulation and Transfer Network has begun the process of developing MTAGs to streamline and systemize the awarding of credit for military training, experience and coursework.  Military training and experience must be evaluated and approved by the American Council on Education (ACE) or a regional accrediting body, such as the Higher Learning Commission, to be included in Ohio’s statewide transfer guarantee for military training/experience. Learn more about ODHE's aligned military credit. Learn more about ACE’s “Transfer Guide: Understanding Your Military Transcript and ACE Credit Recommendations”.

Standardized Training and Certification Programs Prior Learning credit can also be awarded for numerous standard training and certification programs. Learn more about ACE’s “National Guide to College Credit for Workforce Training”. 

Credit by Exam (CBE)

There are many courses offered at Tri-C for which Prior Learning credit may be awarded by a student’s taking and passing a comprehensive exam on the course subject. CBE for a particular course may be taken only once. For more information, schedule an appointment with a counselor for an overview of CBE. 

Bypass Credit

Bypass Credit may be awarded for learning attained through documented, valid academic and/or equivalent work experience, including professional certification/licensing and completion of formal training programs. Formal training programs include, but are not limited to, hospital-based and corporate education where requisite knowledge, skills, and competencies are documented. For more information, schedule an appointment with a counselor for an overview of the Bypass Credit process. 


Qualifying full-time Tri-C students (currently registered for 12 or more credits) may register for one course per semester during the regular academic year, on a space-available basis, at any of the institutions participating in the Cross-Registration program. Area colleges and universities participating in this program include Baldwin Wallace University, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland Institute of Art, Cleveland State University, John Carroll University, Kent State University, Notre Dame College, Ursuline College and Youngstown State University.

These host institutions waive tuition and general fee charges for courses taken as part of the Cross-Registration program. Tri-C students are billed for the number of credits taken at the host institution using the Tri-C tuition rate once confirmation of registration is received from the host institution. Tuition and fees assessed for a Cross-Registration Program course will be equal to tuition and fees paid by other Tri-C students with the same total number of credits and residency status. 

Participation must be approved by Tri-C and course availability must be verified by the host institution. Program applications and registration information are available in the Enrollment Center on each campus. Cross-registration is not available during the summer session.

Online and Blended Learning

As an alternative to the traditional classroom environment, Tri-C offers more than 800 online and blended learning courses. For students who are self-directed, motivated and tech savvy, this can be a flexible and effective way to earn college credit. To successfully complete an online or blended course, a student must be computer literate. This means you must be able to attach, create, modify and save electronic documents, upload/download files, navigate the internet and use email.

Registration procedures and cost per credit are the same as on-campus courses.

For additional information about online and blended learning courses, visit www.tri-c.edu/onlinelearning or email elearning@tri-c.edu.

For assistance with online learning technology, call: 216-987-4257.


Online courses use Blackboard Learn, an internet-based learning management system (LMS), for course delivery and assignments.

  • The Blackboard Learn LMS is available 24/7.
  • Students should access their course(s) daily.
  • Students must use Tri-C email. It is the official and primary method of communication between you and the College.
  • Students should be able to watch and create basic video presentations using a laptop/PC or mobile device.
  • Students must be able to use a web browser and modify settings related to security, pop-ups and firewalls.
  • Students must know how to create, modify and attach documents.
  • Students must know how to save, upload and download files.

Blended Learning

The term “blended learning” describes courses that blend online learning with face-to-face classroom instruction.

  • Students attend class on campus and complete course assignments via the computer.
  • Students must be able to use a computer, watch video content, navigate the internet and use email.
  • Technology is constantly improving. For a complete list of technical requirements, please visit www.tri-c.edu/online-learning/technical-requirements.html.

Proctored Testing

Proctored testing may be required in some online and blended learning courses – particularly math courses. A “suitable proctored environment” is an environment directly monitored by an instructor, testing center administrator or other learning provider, in a physical or virtual setting approved by faculty. While proctors must be approved by the instructor, some suitable proctors may include Tri-C Assessment Centers, other accredited college or university testing centers, ProctorU and military education centers. If the testing center requires a fee, it is the student’s responsibility to pay that fee. More information on proctored testing is available at www.tri-c.edu/online-learning/proctoring.html.   

Distance Learning


SmartClass allows students to take credit courses and choose whether to participate “live” in a classroom through cable television and the Internet or watch replays at their convenience online.

  • SmartClass courses are broadcast on Tri-C’s SmartTV and video streamed on the SmartTV Web site at: http://flash-server1.tri-c.edu/index.html.
  • Students enrolled in SmartClass are able to replay their courses at any time at: tricsmarttv.viebit.com.
  • SmartTV is Cuyahoga Community College’s television station and is broadcast on Spectrum cable’s digital channel 195 (must have cable box or a digital TV to view) in the City of Cleveland, on Cox Cable digital Channel 216 in the following communities: Broadview Heights, Brooklyn Heights, Fairview Park, Lakewood, Olmsted Falls, Olmsted Township, Parma, Parma Heights, Rocky River, Seven Hills, and on Brunswick Area Television Channel 24.

Independent Learning (IL)

Independent Learning courses are designed as alternatives to on-campus classroom instruction, offering maximum scheduling flexibility for students interested in independent study.

  • Students complete assignments from the text and study guide and complete exams on-campus.
  • IL courses require viewing videos or listening to audios. Course materials are available at Tri-C libraries, some for checkout. Some programs are available for purchase at the Tri-C Bookstores.
  • Some video programs are available on the Internet through Video on Demand (VoD), requiring Windows Media Player and a high-speed (cable or DSL) connection to the Internet.
  • It is recommended students attend on-campus seminars, offered via closed-circuit television to enable participation from any Tri-C campus, which provides an opportunity for class discussion and course review.


DegreeWorks is a software tool that significantly eases the academic advising process by comparing academic program requirements against a student’s academic history. The resulting report lists courses taken that apply toward graduation, courses yet to be taken and courses that do not apply to the program major. The ability of both students and staff to obtain this information is part of an effective academic advising program.