Admission to Tri-C is open to all high school graduates, anyone with documentation of successful GED completion, non-high school graduates participating in dual enrollment programs and those 18 years of age or older.

It is not necessary to enroll in a specific program to be admitted to Tri-C. Students can enroll in:

  • A two-year program to prepare for transfer to a four-year college;
  • A career/occupational program to prepare for employment; or
  • Individual courses for personal interest.

Tri-C’s general admissions procedure does not ensure admission to a particular course or program. In some instances, certain courses may be restricted to program majors. Admission to a specific program may be competitive or require specific minimum qualifications. Some students may be requested to enroll in special courses to eliminate deficiencies in academic preparation.

Applicants are urged to begin the admissions process well in advance. Students may take courses at more than one campus.

Student records are inactivated after a period of three consecutive semesters where no registration activity has occurred. Students with an inactive status must reapply online for admission to the College. 

 How to Apply

  • Complete the online application at
  • Submit an official high school transcript with graduation date or GED scores. Request that the high school or GED office send the transcript directly to:

Office of the Registrar

P. O. Box 5966

Cleveland, OH 44101-0966

GED transcript request forms are available in the Enrollment Center.

  • Submit official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended. Request that the college or university officials send transcript(s) directly to:

Office of the Registrar

P. O. Box 5966

Cleveland, OH 44101-0966

Those wishing to attend Tri-C while attending another college or university are accepted as Transient (Visiting) students.  Check with your college advisor concerning your home institution's procedures on Transient (Visiting) enrollment before you apply and enroll under this status.

Residency Requirements

Tri-C is supported by Cuyahoga County taxpayers and assisted by the State of Ohio. Students who are not Cuyahoga County residents pay out-of-county or out-of-state tuition. A student’s official residency status is determined at the point of admission according to the residency policies of the State of Ohio, the Ohio Department of Higher Education and the Tri-C Board of Trustees. A change to a Cuyahoga County address does not constitute an automatic change to in-county residency for tuition purposes. It is the student’s responsibility to request a change of residency status by submitting a Petition for Change of Residency Status and providing supporting documentation to the Enrollment Center by the Friday prior to the student’s first class in order for the change to be effective for that semester.

To see if you qualify for a change of residency, visit or any campus Enrollment Center.

Selective Service

All male U.S. citizens (and those with a permanent resident card) between the age of 18 and 25 are required to register with Selective Service to qualify for in-county or in-state tuition rates and to be eligible for financial aid. The admission application requires a Selective Service Registration number or reason for exemption. In accordance with the Defense Department Authorization Act (Pub. L. 97-252) and Ohio Revised Code §3345.32, any student who is required to register with the Selective Service and fails to do so will be ineligible for federal and State of Ohio student financial aid funds. Contact the Enrollment Center or Student Financial Aid & Scholarships office at any campus for further information.

International/Foreign Students

U.S. immigration laws impose a variety of requirements or restrictions on college enrollment. If you already have or are applying for the status of an F-1 non-immigrant student, you must consult with a special student services coordinator before applying and registering for classes. F-1 students with an I-20 form from Tri-C must successfully complete a minimum of 12 credits per semester in order to maintain status. No more than one three-credit course taken via distance learning/e-learning will apply toward the 12-credit minimum. A special student services coordinator is available at each of the campuses to address deadlines for F-1 international student admission and for other F-1 information. 

For information that involves maintaining your visa status, such as work permission, authorized withdrawals, transfers and program extensions, visit or see the special student services coordinator at the campus listed on your I-20:

East 216-987-2118 Student Services Building, Room 1602
Metro 216-987-4167 Student Services Building, Room G09
West 216-987-5203 Student Services Building, Room 220
Westshore 216-987-5884 Enrollment Center
CCW 216-987-5884 Enrollment Center

New Student Orientation

The mandatory First Year Experience helps students understand college expectations, make informed program choices and identify needed coursework. The First Year Experience begins with an in-person orientation. Tri-C’s New Student Orientation sessions are designed to assess, inform and prepare students prior to beginning classes. Orientation is required for students new to college and recommended for students who have previously attended another college or university. Orientation provides students with information essential to successfully begin and proceed with their education at Tri-C. For more information about orientation and initial academic advising, contact the Counseling Office at 216-987-6000 and select option #4.

Transfer from Tri-C to a Four-Year Institution

As a student works toward completion of an associate degree, they should also begin the process of a successful transfer. Transferring courses from Tri-C to another college or university begins when the student meets with a counselor and selects transferrable courses using available resources such as statewide guarantees, transfer guides, articulation agreements and predetermined pathways. It is highly recommended that students who plan to transfer meet with a counselor early and often in their college career.  Courses a student selects should meet Tri-C’s minimum graduation requirements and, ideally, as many of the transfer institution’s graduation requirements as possible. The student should also meet with a Transfer Center specialist to discuss pre-transfer planning, including their transfer timeline. The Transfer Center specialist can help in a number of ways, such as connecting the student to an admissions and/or advising representative at the transfer institution who will have the most recent information on that institution’s procedures and requirements. Acceptance of transfer credit is always at the discretion of the transfer institution.

To shorten a student’s path from associate to bachelor's degree, the Ohio Department of Higher Education has established credit transfer guarantees, which include courses in the Ohio Transfer Module (OTM) and Transfer Assurance Guides (TAGs), among others. These courses are guaranteed to transfer to any four-year public college or university in Ohio.  By selecting these courses, the student ensures comparable, compatible and equivalent learning experiences across Ohio's public higher education system.  Knowing in advance that courses will transfer gives students the flexibility to choose lower-cost, more convenient options. In addition to saving money, a student who takes advantage of transfer guarantees and completes an associate degree is more likely to excel academically and graduate with a bachelor's degree.  Learn more about the Ohio Transfer Module.  Learn more about Transfer Assurance Guides.

Courses that are not part of the OTM or TAG are assured to transfer only as part of an approved articulation agreement between Tri-C and a four-year college or university.  Learn more about approved articulation agreements. A counselor or Transfer Center specialist can provide information about which courses and degree programs have articulated credit. Note that courses with numbers lower than 1000 usually do not transfer.  Learn more about semester course numbering.

The student should schedule a meeting with the transfer college or university’s admissions office to make sure they have met all the transfer institution’s admission and transfer requirements. As part of its admission review process, the transfer institution will require an official transcript of courses the student has completed. Learn more about ordering Tri-C transcripts online at $5 per transcript.

Transfer to Tri-C from Another Institution

Students who wish to transfer to Tri-C should follow the established admission procedures. The acceptance of transfer credits by Tri-C will be determined to the extent feasible within the context of agreements and working relationships between Tri-C and other institutions of higher learning.

Tri-C has agreed to accept credit from colleges and universities accredited by regional accrediting associations. Tri-C also accepts credit from other institutions that can demonstrate that instruction provided at their institution meets Tri-C’s standards.

Transfer credit may be awarded for courses earned through the college-level United States Armed Forces Institute (USAFI).

Transient (Visiting) Status

  1. If a student wishes to take a course for credit at another institution while attending      Tri-C, he or she should:
    • Request a Transient (Visiting) Student form from the Counseling Office.
    • Complete the form, obtain approval from a counselor and return it to the Enrollment Center.
    • The Enrollment Center will confirm the student’s status.
    • Upon completion of the course, the Tri-C student should request an official transcript be sent from the visiting institution to:
       Office of the Registrar
       P.O. Box 5966
       Cleveland, OH 44101-0966
  2. If you are attending another college or university and would like to take classes that will transfer back to your home institution, apply as a visiting or transient student at Tri-C. Visit for more information.

College Credit Plus

College Credit Plus allows students in grades 7-12 to earn college and high school credits at the same time by taking courses at Cuyahoga Community College. The program promotes rigorous academic pursuits and provides a wide variety of options to college-ready students. Taking a Courses taken through the College Credit Plus program are typically free, with no out-of-pocket cost for tuition, books or fees. Visit for more information.

Program 60 Admission

Through Program 60, Ohio residents ages 60 and older may register for regularly scheduled credit and select noncredit courses on an audit, tuition-free, space-available basis. Registrations are processed in person through the Enrollment Center on the date published for Program 60 registration in the Enrollment Guide. Program 60 registration will not be accepted prior to the dates advertised. Visit for more information.

Ohio College Tech Prep

Ohio College Tech Prep is a seamless, non-duplicative, integrated pathway of education and experience that starts in high school, continues through postsecondary and leads to success in a student’s chosen technical career field. It prepares students for high-skill, high-demand technical careers in a competitive global economy.

The curriculum reflects real-world technical careers in high demand today. Programs may be offered in the following career fields: Agriculture and Environmental Systems; Arts and Communication; Business and Administrative Services; Construction Technologies; Education and Training; Engineering and Science Technologies; Family and Consumer Science; Finance; Government and Public Administration; Health Sciences; Hospitality and Tourism; Human Services; Information Technology; Law and Public Safety; Manufacturing Technologies; Marketing; and Transportation Systems.

Tri-C serves as a higher education partner of the Ohio College Tech Prep Partnership, offering college credits to high school Tech Prep students. Tech Prep enables a smooth transition from high school into two- and four-year college degree programs.

Call 216-987-4987 or visit for more information.

Career Technical Credit Transfer

Career-Technical Credit Transfer (CT2) is a collaborative effort among the Ohio Department of Higher Education (ODHE), the Ohio Department of Education’s Office of Career-Technical and Adult Education, public secondary/adult career-technical education institutions and state-supported institutions of higher education. The CT2 initiative ensures that students at a secondary career-technical education institution or an adult career-technical institution can transfer successfully completed technical courses that adhere to recognized industry standards to any state institution of higher education without unnecessary duplication or institutional barriers.  CT2 complements the College Tech Prep program. Learn more about Career-Technical Credit information regarding Career-Technical Assurance Guides (CTAGs), which identify specific courses that are part of the statewide guarantee.  Learn more about Career-Technical credit transfer. Learn more about verification forms and accessing CT2 credit.