Admission to Tri-C is open to all high school graduates, anyone with documentation of successful GED completion, non-high school graduates participating in dual enrollment programs, and those 18 years of age or older.

It is not necessary to enroll in a specific program to be admitted to Tri-C. Students can enroll in:

  • A two-year program to prepare for transfer to a four-year college;
  • A career/occupational program to prepare for employment; or
  • Individual courses for personal interest.

Tri-C’s general admissions procedure does not ensure admission to a particular course or program. In some instances, certain courses may be restricted to program majors. Admission to a specific program may be competitive or require specific minimum qualifications. Some students may be requested to enroll in special courses to eliminate deficiencies in academic preparation.

Applicants are urged to begin the admissions process well in advance. Students may take courses at more than one campus.

Student records are inactivated after a period of three consecutive semesters where no registration activity has occurred. Students with an inactive status must reapply online for admission to the College.

Residency Requirements

Tri-C is supported by Cuyahoga County taxpayers and assisted by the State of Ohio. Students who reside outside of Cuyahoga County pay out-of-county or out-of-state tuition. A student’s official residency status is determined at the point of admission according to the residency policies of the State of Ohio, the Ohio Department of Higher Education, and the Tri-C Board of Trustees. A change to a Cuyahoga County address does not constitute an automatic change to in-county residency for tuition purposes. It is the student’s responsibility to request a change of residency status by submitting a Petition for Change of Residency Status and providing supporting documentation to the Enrollment Center by the Friday prior to the student’s first class in order for the change to be effective for that semester.

To see if you qualify for a change of residency, visit or any campus Enrollment Center.

Selective Service

All male U.S. citizens (and those with a permanent resident card) between the age of 18 and 25 are required to register with Selective Service to qualify for in-county or in-state tuition rates and to be eligible for financial aid. The admission application requires a Selective Service Registration number or reason for exemption. In accordance with the Defense Department Authorization Act (Pub. L. 97-252) and Ohio Revised Code §3345.32, any student who is required to register with the Selective Service and fails to do so will be ineligible for federal and State of Ohio student financial aid funds. Contact the Enrollment Center or Student Financial Aid & Scholarships office at any campus for further information.

International/Foreign Students

U.S. immigration laws impose a variety of requirements or restrictions on college enrollment. If you already have or are applying for the status of an F-1 non-immigrant student, you must consult with a Special Student Services Coordinator before applying and registering for classes. F-1 students with a FORM I-20 from Tri-C must successfully complete a minimum of 12 credits per semester in order to maintain status. Nine of the 12 credits must be taken as traditional seat-based (in-person) or blended learning (in-person/online) classes; the remaining 3 credits may be taken via distance learning, which includes online, independent-learning, and cable college.  A Special Student Services Coordinator is available at each of the campuses to address deadlines for F-1 international student admission and for other F-1 information. 

For information that involves maintaining your visa status, such as work permission, authorized withdrawals, transfers, and program extensions, visit or see the Special Student Services Coordinator at the campus listed on your I-20:

East 216-987-2118 Student Services Building, Room 1605
Metro 216-987-4167 Student Services Building, Room G09
West 216-987-5203 Student Services Building, Room 220
Westshore 216-987-5884 Enrollment Center
CCW 216-987-5884 Enrollment Center

Transient (Visiting) Status

  1. If a student wishes to take a course for credit at another institution while attending Tri-C, he or she should:
    • Request a Transient (Visiting) Student form from the Counseling Office.
    • Complete the form, obtain approval from a counselor and return it to the Enrollment Center.
    • The Enrollment Center will confirm the student’s status.
    • Upon completion of the course, the Tri-C student should request an official transcript be sent from the visiting institution to:
       Office of the Registrar
       P.O. Box 5966
       Cleveland, OH 44101-0966
  2. If you are attending another college or university and would like to take classes that will transfer back to your home institution, apply as a visiting or transient student at Tri-C. Visit for more information.