As a student works toward completion of an associate degree, they should also begin the process of a successful transfer. Transferring courses from Tri-C to another college or university begins when the student meets with a counselor and selects transferrable courses using available resources such as statewide guarantees, transfer guides, articulation agreements, and predetermined pathways. It is highly recommended that students who plan to transfer meet with a counselor early and often in their college career.  Courses a student selects should meet Tri-C’s minimum graduation requirements and, ideally, as many of the transfer institution’s graduation requirements as possible. The student should also meet with a Transfer Center specialist to discuss pre-transfer planning, including their transfer timeline. The Transfer Center specialist can help in a number of ways, such as connecting the student to an admissions and/or advising representative at the transfer institution who will have the most recent information on that institution’s procedures and requirements. Acceptance of transfer credit is always at the discretion of the transfer institution.

To shorten a student’s path from associate to bachelor's degree, the Ohio Department of Higher Education has established credit transfer guarantees, which include courses in the Ohio Transfer Module (OTM) and Transfer Assurance Guides (TAGs), among others. These courses are guaranteed to transfer to any four-year public college or university in Ohio.  By selecting these courses, the student ensures comparable, compatible and equivalent learning experiences across Ohio's public higher education system.  Knowing in advance that courses will transfer gives students the flexibility to choose lower-cost, more convenient options. In addition to saving money, a student who takes advantage of transfer guarantees and completes an associate degree is more likely to excel academically and graduate with a bachelor's degree.  Learn more about the Ohio Transfer Module.  Learn more about Transfer Assurance Guides.

Courses that are not part of the OTM or TAG are assured to transfer only as part of an approved articulation agreement between Tri-C and a four-year college or university.  Learn more about approved articulation agreements. A counselor or Transfer Center specialist can provide information about which courses and degree programs have articulated credit. Note that courses with numbers lower than 1000 usually do not transfer.  Learn more about semester course numbering (choose Semester Course Numbering on the landing page).

The student should schedule a meeting with the transfer college or university’s admissions office to make sure they have met all the transfer institution’s admission and transfer requirements. As part of its admission review process, the transfer institution will require an official transcript of courses the student has completed. Learn more about ordering Tri-C transcripts online at $5 per transcript.