This program provides basic training for students who want to acquire the fundamental skills of Stick, MIG, TIG, and OxyFuel welding and introduces additional industry technologies: programming of welding robots, fabrication, nondestructive testing techniques, metallurgy, and workplace safety. Students have the potential to earn three nationally recognized certifications. At the conclusion of the MIG, TIG, and Stick welding classes, students submit a test piece (between 1F and 4G) for American Weld Society (AWS) certification evaluation.
Program contact: Learn more
This certificate will be automatically awarded when the certificate requirements are completed. If you do not want to receive the certificate, please notify the Office of the Registrar at RegistrarOffice@tri-c.edu.
Program Admission Requirements
- High School Diploma/GED
- MATH-0910 Basic Arithmetic and Pre-Algebra or appropriate score on Math Placement Test.
Program Learning Outcomes
This program is designed to prepare students to demonstrate the following learning outcomes:
- Use effective interpersonal, communication, and professional skills to work with welding, production, engineering, and quality control teams.
- Comply with industry safety guidelines.
- Apply TIG, MIG, and Stick processes to join metal.
- Apply oxygen and fuel cutting skills.
- Add and subtract decimals and fractions and convert decimals to fractions.
- Train operators, troubleshoot equipment, analyze root causes and identify corrective actions of weld issues.
- Work with production and engineering teams to develop equipment and processes for product development, production needs, and customer expectations.
- Use practical knowledge/experience of fabricating, blue print reading, and welding skills to complete most welding projects.
Suggested Semester Sequence
|First Semester||Credit Hours|
|COMM-1000||Fundamentals of Interpersonal Communication||3|
|HLTH-1230||Standard First Aid and Personal Safety||1|
|ISET-1101||Welding Blue Print Reading||3|
|ISET-2100||Gas Metal Arc Welding (MIG)||4|
|ISET-2120||Shielded Metal Arc Welding (STICK)||4|
|MET-1300||Engineering Materials and Metallurgy||3|
|ISET-2110||Gas Tungsten Arc Welding (TIG)||4|
|ISET-2131||Oxyfuel Processes/Plasma Processes||4|
|Total Credit Hours||37|