This program provides all the basic, advanced skills, and practice needed to start a career as a professional Food and Beverage Manager. Students complete a practicum that provides the work experience needed to advance and the work experience needed for certification.
Program contact: Learn more
This certificate will be automatically awarded when the certificate requirements are completed. If you do not want to receive the certificate, please notify the Office of the Registrar at RegistrarOffice@tri-c.edu.
Learn more about how certificate credits apply to the related degree.
Program Learning Outcomes
This program is designed to prepare students to demonstrate the following learning outcomes:
- Obtain an entry-level skill position in the food service industry.
- Demonstrate customer service skills and professional and ethical conduct according to industry standards.
- Apply proper sanitation principles to meet industry standards and government regulations.
- Listen, speak, and communicate with team members to achieve customer satisfaction and operational success.
- Participate in day-to-day operation of a food and beverage establishment.
- Apply time management skills and principles of quality to daily work tasks.
- Identify and explain the importance of diversity in the workplace.
- Utilize the principles of purchasing and inventory control.
- Apply standard Human Resources principles in regards to recruiting, retaining, and developing staff.
Suggested Semester Sequence
|First Semester||Credit Hours|
|HOSP-1010||Introduction to the Hospitality Industry||2|
|HOSP-1020||Sanitation and Safety||2|
|HOSP-1031||Fundamentals of Culinary Arts||3|
|HOSP-1360||Fundamentals of Restaurant/Food Service Management||3|
|MATH-1xxx||1000-level MATH course or higher||3|
|HOSP-1650||Dining Room Operations||2|
|HOSP-1950||Restaurant/Food Service Managment Field Experience||1|
|HOSP-2400||Hospitality Management and Supervision||3|
|Select one of the following:||3|
|College Composition I|
|Honors College Composition I|
|Total Credit Hours||30|