A student who receives a one-year certificate can work in a retail outlet, optical laboratory or a doctor's office. Other career paths can lead to related work as a sales representative for optical products. Note: In order to be eligible to take the State Board Exam for licensure, you must finish the Optical Technology degree program.
Program contact: Learn more
This certificate will be automatically awarded when the certificate requirements are completed. If you do not want to receive the certificate, please notify the Office of the Registrar at RegistrarOffice@tri-c.edu.
Learn more about how certificate credits apply to the related degree.
Program Admission Requirements
Application may be submitted to the Health Careers Enrollment Center after meeting the following requirements:
- High School Diploma/GED
- ENG-0990 Language Fundamentals II or appropriate score on English Placement Test.
- MATH-0955 Beginning Algebra or MATH-0990 Math Literacy for College Students or appropriate score on Math Placement Test.
- 2.0 GPA
- 14 students accepted per year
Program Learning Outcomes
This program is designed to prepare students to demonstrate the following learning outcomes:
- Communicate verbally and in writing to clients, colleagues, and other professionals.
- Design eyewear by combining accurate physiognomic measurements with knowledge of ocular anatomy, geometric optics and prescription analysis.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the operation and function of equipment and tools used in the fabrication and verification of eyewear.
- Perform all tasks associated with the fitting and dispensing of eyewear.
- Apply knowledge of ocular physiology and of local, state and federal guidelines in order to maintain accurate medical records.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the ophthalmic profession and optical manufacturing process.
- Work within the safety standards that govern opticianry.
- Discuss Ohio and national statutes that govern opticianry.
- Conduct him/herself in a professional manner at all times.
Suggested Semester Sequence
|First Semester||Credit Hours|
|BIO-1230||Anatomy and Physiology of the Eye||4|
|OPT-1310||Theoretical Optics I||2|
|OPT-1410||Mechanical Optics I||2|
|OPT-1510||Optical Dispensing I||3|
|OPT-1610||Contact Lens I||2|
|MATH-1xxx||1000-level MATH course or higher||3|
|OPT-1320||Theoretical Optics II||2|
|OPT-1420||Mechanical Optics II||2|
|OPT-1520||Optical Dispensing II||3|
|OPT-1621||Contact Lens II||2|
|PHYS-1300||Physics of Optical Materials||4|
|Select one of the following:||3|
|College Composition I|
|Honors College Composition I|
|Total Credit Hours||32|