Ophthalmic Assistants are ophthalmic allied health professionals who perform procedures under the supervision of an Ophthalmologist. An Ophthalmic Assistant may be responsible for taking patient histories, providing patient services, administering diagnostic tests and maintenance of ophthalmic equipment. The Ophthalmic Medical Assisting program combines academic instruction and clinical experience under professional supervision.
Financial Assistance funds cannot be applied towards this program.
Program contact: Learn more
This certificate will be automatically awarded when the certificate requirements are completed. If you do not want to receive the certificate, please notify the Office of the Registrar at RegistrarOffice@tri-c.edu.
Learn more about how certificate credits apply to the related degree.
Program Admission Requirements
Application may be submitted to the Health Careers Enrollment Center after meeting the following requirements:
- High School Diploma/GED
- ENG-0990 Language Fundamentals II or appropriate score on English Placement Test.
- GPA required: 2.00
- 14 students accepted per year
- Criminal background check required.
Program Learning Outcomes
This program is designed to prepare students to demonstrate the following learning outcomes:
- Communicate verbally, non-verbally and in writing with members of health care team in an appropriate, culturally sensitive, effective and capable manner.
- Apply knowledge of office procedures within an Ophthalmic practice.
- Maintain accurate electronic patient records in accordance with local, state, and federal guidelines.
- Conduct pre-assessment screenings and ocular preparations using appropriate equipment and tools.
- Work within safety standards that govern Ophthalmology.
- Conduct him/herself in a professional manner at all times.
Suggested Semester Sequence
|First Semester||Credit Hours|
|BIO-1230||Anatomy and Physiology of the Eye||4|
|OPT-1710||Introduction to Patient Care||3|
|OPT-1721||Advanced Patient Care||2|
|OPT-1911||Ophthalmic Assisting Directed Practice||4|
|Total Credit Hours||16|