Designed for individuals and allied health care professionals who are interested in learning more about basic nutrition, but are not interested in pursuing a Dietetic Technology degree. This certificate focuses on wellness and disease prevention through proper nutrition and eating behaviors. Students earning this certificate are not qualified to practice medical nutrition therapy, as stated by the State of Ohio.
Program contact: Learn more
This certificate will be automatically awarded when the certificate requirements are completed. If you do not want to receive the certificate, please notify the Office of the Registrar at RegistrarOffice@tri-c.edu.
Learn more about how certificate credits apply to the related degree.
Program Admission Requirements
- Completion of Health Careers Application.
- High School Diploma/GED
- ENG-0990 Language Fundamentals II or appropriate score on English Placement Test.
- MATH-0955 Beginning Algebra or appropriate score on Math Placement Test.
- Seven year limit on Math and Science courses. Three year limit on Dietetic Technology courses.
- 10 Students accepted per year in the program.
- GPA required: 2.0 admission requirements, 2.0 overall
- Eligibility for BIO-2331 Anatomy and Physiology I (appropriate score on Biology placement test or BIO-1100 Introduction to Biological Chemistry with “C” or higher).
Program Learning Outcomes
This program is designed to prepare students to demonstrate the following learning outcomes:
- Develop knowledge of evidence based nutrition information focusing on wellness and prevention.
- Locate and validate evidence based research.
- Apply knowledge of mathematics to develop and analyze recipes.
- Communicate accurate evidence based nutrition information.
Suggested Semester Sequence
|First Semester||Credit Hours|
|BIO-2331||Anatomy and Physiology I||4|
|MATH-1xxx 1||1000-level MATH course or higher||3|
|Select one of the following:||3|
|College Composition I|
|Honors College Composition I|
|BIO-2341||Anatomy and Physiology II||4|
|DIET-2410||Life Cycle Nutrition - Pregnancy and Lactation||1|
|DIET-2420||Life Cycle Nutrition - Nutrition for Children||1|
|DIET-2430||Life Cycle Nutrition - Nutrition through Adulthood||1|
|DIET-xxxx||DIET Elective course||2-3|
|HLTH-1100||Personal Health Education||3|
|SES-1201||Fitness and Wellness Coaching||3|
|Total Credit Hours||32-33|
MATH-1240 Contemporary Mathematics recommended for students who plan to apply credits to Dietetic Technology Degree program.