To be eligible for this program, students must have a minimum of an associate degree in a healthcare field of study. However, graduates of an accredited Health Information Management degree program are best suited for this certificate. Students who do not have a health care degree that includes an Introduction to Medical Terminology, two semesters of Anatomy and Physiology, and Pathophysiology will be required to complete these courses with a “B” grade or higher before applying for admission to the program.
Students who complete the Cancer Registrar post-degree certificate will be eligible to take the certification exam for Certified Tumor Registrar (CTR) provided by the National Association of Cancer Registrars’ Association.
Financial Assistance funds cannot be applied towards this program. Request for eligibility to utilize Financial Assistance funds for this program is currently pending.
Program contact: Learn more
This certificate will be automatically awarded when the certificate requirements are completed. If you do not want to receive the certificate, please notify the Office of the Registrar at RegistrarOffice@tri-c.edu.
Related Degrees and Certificates
Program Admission Requirements
- Students must have at a minimum an Associate Degree (or higher) in allied health or nursing from an ACE accredited College that includes the following courses:
Course List Code Title Credit Hours BIO-2331 Anatomy and Physiology I (with “B” grade or higher) 4 BIO-2341 Anatomy and Physiology II (with “B” grade or higher) 4 BIO-2600 Pathophysiology (with “B” grade or higher) 3 MATH-1xxx MATH-1000 level or higher (with grade of "C" or higher) Select one of the following: 3 College Composition I Honors College Composition I Select one of the following: 2-5 Introduction to Medical Terminology (with “B” grade or higher) Medical Terminology I
and Medical Terminology II (with “B” grade or higher)
- Time limit on biology courses is seven years unless the student is currently working in the healthcare field.
- 2.0 GPA
- 25 students accepted per year
- Graduates of an accredited HIM degree program are best suited for this certificate. Current credential is not required for admission to the program. Students who do not have a degree that includes the above courses must complete the courses before applying for the CTR program.
Program Learning Outcomes
This program is designed to prepare students to demonstrate the following learning outcomes:
- Identify and comply with diverse workplace cultures, specifically in regard to dress code, code of conduct, and relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Apply federal, state, and organizational regulations in regard to confidentiality and security.
- Explain the significance of applying clinical knowledge pertaining to diagnostics, treatment modalities, extent of disease, and surveillance in order to ensure complete and accurate cancer reporting.
- Abstract and analyze health record information and convert to numerical data that aligns with industry principles and guidelines.
- Utilize oral and written skills to effectively communicate and interact with health care professionals, colleagues, administration, and internal and external customers to promote quality oncology research and statistical outcomes.
- Exhibit proficiency using Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, Power Point, & Outlook) as well as other software technologies and discuss the potential of data exchange across systems.
- Apply knowledge of industry recognized data fields to effectively utilize cancer registry software.
- Effectively utilize virtual meeting software in a professional manner.
- Differentiate between the various roles and reporting structures, while prioritizing tasks according to immediate needs.
Suggested Semester Sequence
|First Semester||Credit Hours|
|HIM-2500||Introduction to Cancer Registry and Disease Management||2|
|HIM-2510||The Cancer Disease Process and Management||3|
|HIM-2520||Oncology Coding and Staging||3|
|HIM-2530||Oncology Treatment and Coding||3|
|HIM-2540||Abstracting Principles and Methodologies for Oncology||3|
|HIM-2550||Database Analytics, Quality and Tracking||3|
|HIM-2560||Oncology Database and Manuals||3|
|HIM-2870||Clinical Professional Practice Experience for Cancer Registry||2|
|Total Credit Hours||22|