The Patient Access Specialist is often the first person a patient sees when they arrive at a hospital, doctor’s office or any medical admitting department. They are an advocate for both the patient and the health care facility. As the “face” of the health care organization, patient access specialists have an effect on both the revenue cycle and the patient experience. They often provide exceptional customer service to patients, their family members and the clinical teams they support. Patient access specialists are employed in hospitals, nursing homes, HMOs/PPOs, freestanding surgery centers, call centers, ambulatory care centers, physician offices and clinics. The role can fall under many different titles, including patient service representative, registration representative, access representative, registration technician, insurance verifier, preregistration specialist or financial counselor.
The Comprehensive Patient Access Specialist program covers topics such as medical terminology, electronic health records (EHR), fundamentals of billing and reimbursement and Microsoft Office Suite (uCertify). Classes meet for 21 weeks with day, evening and weekend options available both virtually and on campus.
Other important information
- Virtual program cost is $4000.00
- High school diploma/GED required
- Integrated career and job readiness (professionalism)
- Mandatory Certified Healthcare Access Associate (CHAA) national exam review session
- Private CHAA national exam on site upon successful completion
Contact 216-987-3171 or 216-987-2925 for further details.
Visit the Corporate College website for pricing.
Cost includes all text materials for each course and national exam (1st attempt only).
CHAA national exam fees included in cost contingent upon passing status of course at time of exam registration and financial clearance.
No refund given after classes begin.
Financial aid eligibility
This program is not Federal Financial Aid/Pell Eligible.
Scholarships, payment plans, and other financial aid options may be available. For more information, call 216-987-6000, option 1.
Upon completion students receive
- Eligibility to sit for the Certified Healthcare Access Associate national exam through the National Association of Healthcare Access Management
- Tri-C Certificate of Completion
- Comprehensive Certified Professional Medical Coder (Online)
- Health Care (Workforce Training Programs)
- Patient Access Specialist
- Health Information Management Technology
Register and learn more about Comprehensive Patient Access Specialist.