Academic advising is one of the most important services a student will receive in college. The student and the counselor work together to achieve the student’s educational goals.
Tri-C counselors/advisors help students:
• Learn about requirements for Tri-C’s degree and certificate programs and help track degree completion using DegreeWorks.
• Develop educational goals as they relate to careers.
By being accessible through email, phone, WebEx and face-to-face
Understand the various modalities of course offerings and help student choose the one best suited for the student
• Develop complete academic plans through completion of program or degree.
Interpret MyPlan and other career assessments
• Explore majors consistent with a student’s interests, abilities and goals.
Through advising sessions at the 25%, %50% & 75% milestones of students graduation
• Explore transfer opportunities at area colleges and universities.
• Develop course schedules that consider a student’s academic background, course prerequisites and educational goals.
• Become aware of and interpret academic policies as they relate to a student’s situation.
• Identify appropriate resource personnel to assist students with study skills, career counseling, financial aid, personal counseling and resolving complaints.
• Understand the Ohio Transfer Module, OT-36, Transfer Assurance Guides (TAGS) and Transferology as tools to aid with transfer planning.
Students are encouraged to use E-Advising to learn more about programs, degrees, certificates and transfer options. Use the form located at www.tri-c.edu/eadvising to speak with a counselor via internet, email or phone.
E-Advising is conducted through chat and WebEx in real time