Cuyahoga Community College is committed to helping students successfully complete degrees, certificates and transfer programs. The College demonstrates this commitment through the mandatory First Year Experience, designed to provide the support, information, tools and connections necessary for success. The First Year Experience includes three key components:
- New Student Orientation connects students to a counselor who helps them select the right courses, learn important steps for success and identify a major or program. New Student Orientation is offered though the Counseling Office at each campus.
- New Student Convocation officially welcomes new students to the College prior to the start of their first semester. Convocation has two major goals:
- To make certain that students understand the pace, rigor and expectations of the College and to provide advice on meeting these expectations; and
- To connect students to faculty and academic leadership in their major or program of study.
- First Year Success Seminar is a course offered during a new student’s first semester. Course goals include understanding key College processes and services; practicing academic success strategies such as time management and study skills; deepening connections to program faculty and staff; and creating an academic plan that leads directly to degree or credential completion.
GEN 1070 (First Year Success Seminar) is a degree requirement for the Associate of Arts and Associate of Science degrees, and this will be reflected in the DegreeWorks system. Students should take GEN 1070 in their first semester. Since returning, transfer, and current College Credit Plus (CCP) students are not required to take GEN-1070, an automatic waiver for these groups has been integrated into Degreeworks. Additional exceptions may be recommended by a counselor on a case-by-case basis. If it is determined that an AA or AS student (who is not covered by an automatic waiver), needs to be exempted from GEN 1070, a course waiver form should be completed.
GEN 1022 (Strategies for Success) and GEN 1040 (Career Exploration) may be substituted for GEN 1070. This substitution may be made at the discretion of a counselor, based on a student’s needs.
For students in AAS programs and select certificate programs, GEN 1070 is an institutional requirement, with a few exceptions― such as students who have successful CCP experience or students who are currently taking ESL courses.