This program provides basic training for students who want to acquire the fundamental skills of Stick, MIG, TIG and OxyFuel welding technologies and prepares students for careers in the welding industry with the potential to earn three nationally recognized certifications. At the conclusion of the MIG, TIG, and Stick welding classes, students submit a test piece (between 1F and 4G) for American Weld Society (AWS) certification evaluation.
Program contact: Learn more
This certificate will be automatically awarded when the certificate requirements are completed. If you do not want to receive the certificate, please notify the Office of the Registrar at RegistrarOffice@tri-c.edu.
Program Admission Requirements
- High School Diploma/GED
- MATH-0910 Basic Arithmetic and Pre-Algebra or qualified Math Placement.
Program Learning Outcomes
This program is designed to prepare students to demonstrate the following learning outcomes:
- Use effective interpersonal, communication, and professional skills to work with welding, production, engineering, and quality control teams.
- Comply with industry safety guidelines.
- Apply TIG and MIG to processes to join metal.
- Read basic welding blueprints and interpret welding symbols.
- Apply oxygen and fuel cutting skills.
- Add and subtract decimals and fractions and convert decimals to fractions.
- Use simple measuring instruments, such as a tape measure, caliper, protractor, and micrometer.
MATH-1140, MATH-1141, MATH-1200, MATH-1270, and MATH-1280 can no longer count towards fulfilling the college-level mathematics requirement. These courses were re-classified as developmental mathematics by the state of Ohio in 2016. Tri-C established a 5-year transitioning window for students who had completed these courses prior to 2016 to apply them towards meeting graduation requirements, which expired in Summer 2021. It is highly recommended to see a counselor to determine the appropriate math required for your current major.
Suggested Semester Sequence
|First Semester||Credit Hours|
|ISET-1101||Welding Blue Print Reading 1||3|
|ISET-2110||Gas Tungsten Arc Welding (TIG) 1||4|
|ISET-2120||Shielded Metal Arc Welding (STICK) 1||4|
|ISET-2100||Gas Metal Arc Welding (MIG)||4|
|ISET-2131||Oxyfuel Processes/Plasma Processes||4|
|Total Credit Hours||19|
Consecutively scheduled courses.