The Short-Term Certificate in Digital Reporting and Transcription will prepare students to work in the legal field as a digital reporter, utilizing software that works with microphones and recording equipment to capture the speech of individuals involved in trials, hearings, depositions, arbitrations, and other legal proceedings. The program will also prepare students to create the official transcript of court proceedings, based on a digital recording. Students completing this program will be prepared to sit for the American Association of Electronic Reporters and Transcribers certifications in Certified Electronic Transcriber and Certified Electronic Reporter.
Program contact: Learn more
This certificate will be automatically awarded when the certificate requirements are completed. If you do not want to receive the certificate, please notify the Office of the Registrar at RegistrarOffice@tri-c.edu.
Learn more about how certificate credits apply to the related degree
- ENG-0995 Applied College Literacies or appropriate score on English Placement Test to enroll in ENG-1010 College Composition I.
- Capture and preserve the verbatim record by recording court and other legal proceedings with an analog or digital system while taking simultaneous annotations to identify important case events such as identifying speakers, unusual jargon, proper nouns and key terms.
- Prepare and format a verbatim transcript, including correct speaker identifications and specialized vocabulary, from electronic audio recordings in accordance with industry standards.
- Utilize appropriate reference materials (medical dictionaries, PDR, Internet) and employ language skills (punctuation, spelling, rules of grammar) in the production of transcribed materials.
- Apply appropriate courtroom procedures, ethical standards, and confidentiality requirements to professional work.
- Maintain a professional appearance and demeanor in a legal setting while adhering to ethical standards and requirements and completing work in a timely manner.
- Be prepared to sit for the American Association of Electronic Reporters and Transcribers Certifications in Digital Reporter and Transcriptionist.
|First Semester||Credit Hours|
|CCR-1150||Introduction to Digital Reporting and Transcription||1|
|CCR-1550||Research and Transcript Preparation||2|
|CCR-1650||Terminology for the Transcriber||3|
|CCR-1470||Transcript Production for Court Reporting and Captioning||3|
|CCR-2351||Editing Legal Documents||3|
|CCR-2740||Digital Reporting Technology||4|
|CCR-2750||Annotation for Digital Reporting||2|
|Total Credit Hours||24|