The Patient Access Specialist is often the first person a patient sees when they arrive at a hospital, doctor’s office or any medical admitting department. They are an advocate for both the patient and the health care facility. As the “face” of the health care organization, Patient Access Specialists have an effect on both the revenue cycle and the patient experience. They often provide exceptional customer service to patients, their family members and the clinical teams they support. Patient Access Specialists are employed in hospitals, nursing homes, HMOs/PPOs, freestanding surgery centers, call centers, ambulatory care centers, physician offices and clinics. The role can fall under many different titles, including Patient Service Representative, Registration Representative, Access Representative, Registration Technician, Insurance Verifier, Preregistration Specialist and Financial Counselor.
The Comprehensive Patient Access Specialist program covers topics such as medical terminology, electronic health records (EHR) and fundamentals of billing and reimbursement. It can be offered at any Tri-C campus. The program is for 18+ weeks, with class offerings available days, evenings and weekends.
Other Important Information
- High School Diploma/GED required
- Integrated career and job readiness (professionalism)
- Mandatory Certified Healthcare Access Associate (CHAA) national exam review session
- Private CHAA national exam on site upon successful completion of the program
Contact 216-987-3171 or 216-987-2925 for more details.
Visit the Corporate College website here for pricing.
Cost includes all text materials and CHAA national exam fees (first attempt only)
No refund is given after the class begins.
Financial aid eligibility
This program is not Federal Financial Aid/Pell Eligible.
Scholarships, payment plans, and other financial aid options may be available. For more information, call 216-987-6000, option 1.
Upon completion students receive
Eligibility to sit for the Certified Healthcare Access Associate (CHAA) national exam through the National Association of Healthcare Access Management (NAHAM)
Tri-C Certificate of Completion
- A non-paid optional externship opportunity upon passage of the CHAA exam, contingent upon employer availability and needs. A recommendation from the instructor and department is required and is based upon classroom performance and behavior. Immunizations and background clearance are required and may be at student cost.
- Health Care (Workforce Training Programs)
- Comprehensive Professional Medical Coding Program
- Comprehensive Professional Medical Coding Program - Online
To register for and learn more about Patient Access Specialist