This rigorous program is designed for individuals who wish to become peace officers in Ohio. In addition to the state-mandated 740-hour Peace Officer Basic Training curriculum, cadets participate in specialized training to enhance their professional background and provide greater career opportunities. Cadets who complete the Peace Officer Basic Training Academy earn 24 credit hours and meet the Police Academy requirement for the Criminal Justice – Basic Police Academy degree at Tri-C.
Other important information
Tri-C offers both full-time (40 training hours/week) and part-time (24 training hours/week) academies in the fall. Another full-time academy is offered each spring.
Full-time academies are held Monday-Friday from 8am-5pm with occasional weekends.
Part-time academy is held Monday-Thursday from 6pm-10pm and Saturdays 8a-5p
This program is a mix of credit and noncredit coursework.
Completed Police Academy application required. See the Basic Police Academy webpage for details.
Cuyahoga County residents: $5,975*
Other Ohio residents: Contact Academy Office
*Additional fees not covered in above costs:
- Non-refundable physical fitness assessment fee (due at time of assessment): $25
- Technology fee for full-time students (two semesters): $140
- Pre-entrance drug screen (paid directly to screening agency): $40
- Pre-entrance physical exam (paid directly to medical provider): Cost varies
- Required uniform pants: Approximately $28 per pair
- Ammunition for handgun and shotgun: Approximately $400
*Tuition or fees are subject to change without notice.
Financial aid eligibility
This program is Federal Financial Aid/PELL eligible for those that qualify.
Scholarships, payment plans, and other financial aid options may be available. Please call 216-987-6000, option 1 for more information.
Veterans and Military Connected Services
Contact Veteran Services at 216-987-5204 for information regarding the use of VA and National Guard scholarship benefits.
Upon completion students receive
Eligibility to receive a commission as a police officer in Ohio
- Criminal Justice (Basic Police Academy), Associate of Applied Science Degree
- Criminal Justice (Basic Police Academy), Certificate of Proficiency
- Criminal Justice, Associate of Applied Science Degree
Register and learn more about the Basic Police Academy.